With the Detroit skyline as a backdrop, we are treated to this wonderful Circa 1936 view of the Wabash and Canadian National yards at Windsor, Ontario. On the far track, a Wabash Automobile box car is coupled between a pair of DT&I box cars from the 17000-17999 series. These 40-ton capacity Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad cars were distinctive, built to 10' IH, with 7' wide single doors and Hutchins ends. - Collection of Rob Adams, photographer unknown.
- Ed Hawkins has provided several tables of Postwar AAR Box Car Prototypes (2/20/2017)
- Ed Hawkins has provided a vastly expanded table of as-built Modified 1937 AAR Box Car Prototypes (2/20/2017)
- Ed Hawkins has provided a vastly expanded table of as-built 1937 AAR Box Car Prototypes (2/20/2017)
- Ed Hawkins has provided an updated table of as-built 1932 AAR Box Car Prototypes (2/20/2017)
- Richard Burg submitted 26 new Pennsylvania Railroad freight car references which have been added to the Protototypes>Historical Society Publications page
- Several events added to the Calendar page, courtesy of Mike Brock and Eric Hansmann. (1/25/2012)
- Steam Freight Cars web site re-launched at www.steamerafreightcars.com due to outage at original URL (1/21/2012)
- Calendar page updated, old events removed, several 2012 and 2013 events added. (1/21/2012)
- Great Northern Freight Car Roster, 1940, 1945 and 1950 ORER data added to the Prototypes page (10/21/2011)
- Jim Hayes Sunshine Models kit information site added to the Links page(8/21/2010)
- Calendar page updated with Wabash Railroad Historical Society 2010 Annual Meet. (8/21/2010)
- Calendar page updated, old events removed, several 2010 and 2011 events added. (8/19/2010)
- New home page image added (8/19/2010)
- Link to Resin Builders 4U added to the Links page(8/19/2010)
- Image and history of Oakland Antioch & Eastern flat car #2002 added to the Prototype>Gallery>Flat Cars page, courtesty of David Johnston (9/27/2009)
- Calendar page updated, old events removed, added link to Railroad Prototype Modelers-Valley Forge 2010, March 26-28, 2010. (9/27/2009)
- New image added to the home page, courtesy of Gene Deimling (8/29/2009)
- Added MilWest Milwaukee Road Western Modelers Meet to the Calendar page, courtesy of David Newcomb. (8/29/2009)
- Added Western Prototype Modelers Meet and Mid-Continent Prototype Modelers Meet to the Calendar page, courtesy of RH Bale. (8/27/2009)
- Links to Reading freight car references from The Reading Modeler added to the Links page, courtesy of John Hall (7/30/2009)
- Added Newsflash notice of MPHS/AMB HO scale Missouri Pacific Drovers Caboose kits, courtesy of Gene Semon (7/30/2009)
- The book Coal Cars, by Robert Karig added to the Research>Books page, courtesy of Tony Thompson (7/30/2009)
- Added Southeastern RPM Fall Meet at Greensboro, NC and Joint N&WHS/SRRHA "Rails to Bristol" meet to the Calendar page, courtesy of Frank Greene. (7/26/2009)
- Links to Seaboard-Coast Line Modeler and Elgin Car Shops added to the Links page (7/26/2009)
- Added Newsflash notice of WrightTRAK's neat new HO scale Southern Railway pulpwood flat (7/26/2009)
- Added listing of Dalman truck applications to the Tahoe Model Works product line on the Modeling>Detail Parts page. (7/25/2009)
- Several books added to the Research>Books page, including Southern Pacific Freight Cars series, The Postwar Freight Car fleet and others (7/25/2009)
- Added Essential Freight Cars series listing to the Prototype>Research page, courtesy of Richard Brennan (7/20/2009)
- All links verified or updated and links to Canada Southern and C&NW HS Modeler added to the Links page (7/18/2009)
- Tahoe Model Works product line added to the Modeling>Detail Parts page. (7/14/2009)
- Added dates for Prototype Rails 2010 and links to previous years Naperville model photos. (7/9/2009)
- Added flyer for 2009 Sunshine Modelers Prototype Modelers Seminar to the Calendar page- Courtesty of Jim Hayes (7/7/2009)
- Added information for the Southern Pacific Technical and Historical Society 2009 Annual Conference to the Calendar page,
Peter McClosky (7/7/2009)
Do you use the Steam Freight Cars web site regularly? Your assistance is requested...
Very little new content has appeared on the Steam Freight Cars web site over the past few years. You can help change that. The following are examples of the material sought:
- Notices of 2017-18 Events of potential interest to prototype modelers and fans of steam-era US/Canadian freight cars
- New product announcements, photos, etc.
- Reviews of new or existing steam era models in any scale
- Notice and/or review of notable publications related to steam freight cars
- Summary compilation of Railroad Model Craftsman's Essential Freight Cars series. What I envision is a brief discussion of each article that includes what is modeled, which kit is used, detailed listing of prototype photos included (i.e. What car, when, where), number of model photos and mention of any special techniques or additional information that might have appeared.
- Modeling items big or small - Prototype research-based whenever possible. The world is wide open here. It could run the range from a single modeling photo to a complete discussion of how a car was modeled. The ultimate submission would include photos, both of the model prototype (if rights to publish exist), discussion of techniques, products used (lettering sets, details, paint, etc.)
- References to steam freight car material in the hobby press, particularly RR historical societies.
- ORER data or summaries, by railroad
- Steam-era prototype information or advertising from sources such as Railway Age and other industry references.